Easter Eggs

It's no secret that there is one author who I've been most inspired by: Chuck Palahniuk. And one tidbit is that every one of his novels includes the color cornflower blue and Missoula, Montana.

Well, now I've got two works out there and there are things that I've repeated in Autopilot from Roadside Attractions. Some were techniques or descriptions that I considered a little nod to anyone who read my first book. Others might become "easter eggs"--little things that will appear in everything I write.

Here's what I've found so far:

  • refined white flour
  • "U-S-A! U-S-A!"
  • pregnancy tests
  • arabica beans
  • barbecued ribs
  • someone alone in a rowboat
And the one that I think stands the best chance of being my #1 easter egg: beige berber carpet.

So if you come across anything else that seems familiar from RA, please post it in the comments.

0 comments: