About Writing My First Novel

I should start by saying up front that this is the biggest, and most personal project I've ever done. It ate up hours upon hours. And I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

So how did I get to this point?

By the end of July 2007, I decided to write my first novel. I didn't really have characters yet, just ideas. Throughout the fall, I kept brainstorming, working on the plot, crafting any interesting ideas into paragraphs.

Around December 07 I started creating an outline. It was hard to know if I had too much or too little to work with, but it felt like enough to get started. And around the week of January 25th, 2008, I started writing the first chapter. (It wouldn't be until July 2008 that I landed on the title.)

It took over six months to write the rough draft, including some weeks where that's all I thought about. Ever since then I've been sharing and editing and letting it sit. I'll come back to it months later, to read it, find more things to improve. Now it's 2011 and it's as good as it's going to be. At least for now. So here it is.

0 comments: